New Älvsborg Fortress
New Älvsborg Fortress is located by the river Göta Älv’s inlet. In the year 1664, a Danish fleet of ships imposed a blockade at the inlet by the Island of Kyrkogårdsholmen. After the Swedes managed to drive the Danes back with the help of the Dutch, it was decided to build a new fortress. In doing so, the old dilapidated fortress was demolished. Building on the new fortress started in 1653 with drawings by quartermaster Johan Wärnschöld and was completed in 1677.
It is today one of the most visited tourist sites in Gothenburg, with a fabulous Guest house that includes conference and event facilities.
Attacked by the Danish Fleet
The attack in 1719 by the Danish fleet lasted for several days, the massive damage of this raid took several years to repair. In the 18th century the fortress was extended and renovated several times. In 1776, the topmost part of the tower was demolished and a bombproof valve created. The tower got its final look.
The final days as a defense fortification
From the end of the 18th century until 1866 it was used as a jailhouse. At its peak over 100 prisoners were imprisoned here. 1868 was its last year as a defense fortification. During the First World War, it was used for storage and housed military personal as Sweden mobilized for war.
New Älvsborg Fortress is since 1971 a popular destination for a day out. The restaurant, guest house, church and museum will make this a pleasurable day out for all the family. The fortress is also popular with companies that are looking for inspiration in a unique environment. The beautiful Karoline church is a favorite for weddings. Many have chosen the fortress church as a place to tie the knot. New Älvsborg Fortress is a heritage protected site.
Daytime you can cruise to New Älvsborg Fortress with Stömma boats. More info and tickets here.
Rent your own fortress
Stora Kurtin V has seats for 130 guests. We can set the tables for weddings, large corporate functions and private celebrations as well as Christmas events. This location can also be used as a cinema or for seminars.
Kurtin III's historical valve can be used for up to 40 guests. Its period wrought iron chandeliers adds to the mystique.
Kommendantens Wärdshus, The Commandants Guesthouse, is open daily and is licensed to serve alcohol.
The Riddarhjelms Hall, in the officer's mess with its royal décor can seat 70 guests for dinner or conference.
Smedjebatteriets lönnkrog, is a smugglers pub located in the walls of the fortress.
Fredstaken at the top of the thick walls, are two rustic barns that can take 250 guests in each and has fantastic views over Skagerrak and Gothenburg harbor entrance.
Conference & Events
In the officer’s mess, we have conference facilities for small and large groups. We tailor-make as per your requests.
After your meeting or conference, we can offer several activities until dinner is served in one of our many beautiful dining rooms. For more information about our activities, see below.
The Commandants Inn
The Commandant's house from the 17th century is now an Inn, licensed to serve alcohol. It is available for lunch, dinner, buffet, coffee and cakes.
The Commandant´s house was built in the late 17th century and is the oldest building after the fortress itself that is still standing. The Commandant was the highest-ranking officer and he and his family lived in this house. There were also some rooms used as offices. Originally there was a large room in the eastern wing that was used as a church. Drawings from the 18th century show that there were originally four bedrooms and two large reception rooms. The house is the same today from the outside after the renovation in 1820, when the roof angle was altered.
Bring your colleges and friends to New Älvsborg fortress for activities and exiting competitions that is both teambuilding and fun. Why not start the evening with your friends doing something different or an after-work experience with a twist?
We can offer both physical and mental activities where the key to success is teamwork. The fortress competition is a combination of fun and exciting moments.
Also on offer:
- Wine , chocolate or beer tastings
- Cheese and wine evenings with cheese from Hilda’s Ost
- Oyster course- history, species, shucking (how to open)
- Whiskey school - Mackmyra Swedish Whiskey
- Coffee school - Bergstrands Coffee roasting company
- The history of the Karoliners (Charles the XII’s followers)
- Sailing ships of the West Coast
Welcome to an unforgettable day at New Älvsborg Fortress!
Karolinerkyrkan - church
The church at New Älvsborg Fortress can seat 110 guests for either civil or faith weddings followed by dinner in one of our many restaurants.
The church was first started its life in 1658 on the lower floor of the tower. It was officially opened on the 10th of July 1708. The building is laid out after plans created by an architect from Stockholm, Jean de la Vallée. The church has two floors, the upper level is a balcony stretching over three sides. The church is 8*8 meters and has an internal height of 6,5 meters.
When the old Älvsborg fortress was abandoned in 1671, many of the oil portraits were moved to New Älvsborg where they can now be found decorating the upper floor of the church. They depict our Savior, Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and the Evangelists. Jesus Christ is found above the altar and above him, is a portrait of Karl XII (Charles XII). This is a very unusual arrangement for a church. The original portrait, with its gold frame and two swords and a crown painted by David von Krafft, is widely regarded as the best portrait of king Karl XII. The original is since 1917 in Gothenburg’s museum. The last church service as part of the New Älvsborg congregation, was held here in 1869. After the 14th of June 1871, it is part of Lundby congregation by Royal decree. The church is one of the best-preserved churches of its time. At a church service in 1719 (this was during the war with the Danes) a massive twelve-pound canon ball was shoot through the church window, taking a leg of a soldier and imbedded itself in the far wall. This cannon ball can still be seen in the wall of the church. The church was renovated in 1727 and 1904-05.
16th of May 1971, two fog bells from abandoned lighthouses were installed to be used as church bells. They were a gift from Svarta Örnsorden, that was started here at the beginning of the 20th century. The bells were handed over by Grandmaster Björn Traung.
Corps de Garde
Corps De Garde built in 1760, once the office of the Commandant and his bookkeeper, is today the souvenir shop.
Here you will find souvenirs, typical sweets of the period, ice-creams, drinks, postcards and pictures from days gone by.
Corps De Garde, or the guard house, was built in 1760. Remains of a previous building has been found. The guard house had two rooms with separate entrance, one for soldiers and one for junior officers. A Corps De Garde was normally placed above the main entrance of a fortress. The location here at Älvsborg, can depend on the need to guard the prisoners in wing 9 and 11.
The National Property Board Sweden (SFV)
The National Property Board Sweden (SFV) administers listed and important buildings owned by the state all over Sweden and abroad. These buildings carry our joint history and future. It is SFV’s mission to care and maintain these properties in a sustainable fashion for future generations. The properties in our care all have great cultural value or are places of special interests. We also administer crown land that has belonged to the state for centuries.
Everything from coast to mountains, castles to shacks.
SFV manages 2 million square meters of land, representing one seventh of the surface area of Sweden. The value is estimated at over 13 billion SEK
- All royal castles and parks
- Fortresses and monuments
- Land and forest in south and central Sweden.
- Crown islands, light houses and pilot houses.
- Reindeer grazing land west of the arable land in Northern Sweden
- Government seats and Official buildings
- Public museums and theater buildings
- SFV manages Swedish embassies, residences and institutions all over the world.
- SFV is involved to varying degrees in seven of the 14 Swedish world heritage sites on UNESCO's list.
- SFV shares responsibility for the country's 300 or so State-owned historic buildings. SFV was formed in 1993, although the organization can trace its roots back to the 17th century.
For more information visit The National Property Board Sweden (SFV)